Reference

Bluebeard / Caryopteris

Caryopteris x. clandonensis  'First Choice'
From High Country Gardens in Spring 2018.

Photos

Care: Cut back by 1/3 every third year, not annually.

Darker royal blue purple. Blooms in August and keeps going through October. More compact.

Expectations:
I loved the lighter amethyst jewel flowers of caryopteris in my old garden, and the shrub itself was easy care, with an open, interesting branch structure in winter.

I might have liked the lighter amethyst color bloom, but the compact form and rich flower color will be nice. I hope it does not look too dark or moody blue colored.



Experiences:
Tiny at first, it finally put on a little size in the summer of 2020, its third year -- I watered it frequently -- and it started to flower in August 2020 for the first time. 

It gets dappled shade all morning from nearby trees, but later in the day it gets good sun for several hours.