Reference

Sweet Iris / Iris pallida

Iris pallida 'Variegata'
From Newman's nursery in summer 2018

Iris pallida 'Variegata Gold' from High Country Gardens in spring 2019

These are gone now

Photos

Expectations:
This iris will take some shade. Flowers are a clear purple. I had one in my old garden, but it was crowded and probably in soil that was too damp. It wants moist soil, but will take some drought when established.

2023 before I took them out
The sword leaves are strongly striped, changing from lemon yellow to creamy white over the season. 

Experiences:
I put both of these in the potting bench curve garden for a bright highlight. They go really well with the cool blue of the fuzzy lambs ears. The Variegata Gold clump has yellow stripes, the other more silver white.

The upright, strong leaves pop. I'm not crazy about the purple of the blooms, and they don't last long. 

Flowering is pretty sparse, with no blooms one year and only one the next. 

In 2023 the foliage made a nice contrast with other plants but I took them all out. I wanted a cleaner, less busy mix in this garden, and a less frilly look. They were awkwardly crowded here and didn't really suit the space.