Reference

Butterfly Bush / Buddleia weyeriana

Buddleia x weyeriana 'Honeycomb'
From Newman's Nursery in summer 2018


MoBot says it gets weedy and sparse if not grown in full sun -- as always I have to consider how harsh "full sun" may be here, and whether it could use some shade. Zone 6, wants dry drainage. 

One of the last butterfly bushes to bloom, in late August. Sprawly, but not huge. Dies back to the ground here each winter, the description says it regrows to no more than about 5 feet tall and 4 feet wide

In my old garden
Blooms on old and new wood, so it will set flowers even though it has to completely regrow in summer.

Expectations:
'Honeycomb' did not return after winter in Connecticut. I had two, and both succumbed. 

It has pretty silvery foliage -- I had forgotten that.

Not very flowery, at least mine wasn't when I had it. I do like the smattering of ball-shaped flowers that turn into small cones. 

They are supposed to be fragrant, but I don't remember any scent.It leaves an empty spot while it gets going. 

In CT it was rangy and a little wild looking.

Not really a specimen for the front yard, more a filler plant in a sunny garden with other things around it? 

This shot I took in 2011 is all over the internet, 
Experiences:
I bought this on a whim. I saw the cheerful golden yellow spires of this butterfly bush at Newman's as I passed by, and remembered how much I liked the yellow flowered butterfly bush I had in my old garden in 2011.

I planted 'Honeycomb' out in the sunny front yard, at the edge of the circle of chamisas and cholla (and pot). The soil is pretty poor there. 

Originally, in its first year, it had some presence.

But then for several years it did nothing, remaining low and barely visible, flowering a bit but not looking like much. In 2023 it finally had some size, but it's not a great plant out in front.

It's in a group now with a fernbush shrub and the cholla cactus.