Reference

Obedient Plant. / Physostegia

Physostegia 'Crystal Peak White'
From High Country Gardens spring 2019, and added more in 2022

Photos

Expectations:
This wants more moisture than I thought to get started. Water well, keep moist.

I loved the frilly white obedient plants I had in my old garden, ('Miss Manners') but they disappeared after a few years for some reason. They were tall.

'Crystal Peak White' looks just as lovely but is a shorter, sturdier variety, to only a foot tall, and not a spreader. 


Experiences:
I planted a patch (6 plants) in the kitchen courtyard garden. 

But in July 2019 they rapidly declined. At first they looked over-watered, with yellow leaves at the bottom. I cut back bit and then they crisped up and shrank. Almost nothing left by the time I dug them up and moved them to the potting bench curve in more shade.

June 30, 2023
They did better in the potting bench curve and all came up in 2020. 

I watered them a lot. Some looked okay, others stunted.These plants were short and stubby, not the elegant forms I expected. They were about 6 inches tall at best.

They needed a ton -- a ton -- of water.  

Eventually in 2022 I moved some remaining to the new birdbath garden right under the birdbath, planted among the creeping thyme, and added a few new ones.

They did well there and the clear white sturdy blooms are perfect under the birdbath. I put a few at the front edge of the kitchen courtyard, but will move those to under the birdbath too.