Reference

Coppertips / Crocosmia

Crocosmia 'George Davidson' Also called Monbretia
From High Country Gardens in spring 2019 - none came back
Planted 18 more in the ground in spring 2021    All are gone now


Expectations:
'George Davidson' should look like this!
Plant corms in spring. These want lean soil (don't fertilize) and may not flower the first year. Not reliably winter hardy in zone 5.

I loved scarlet red 'Lucifer' crocosmia in my old garden although they were problematic (flopped, got spider mites, didn't come back reliably). They sell them here, but they're too big. 

'George Davidson' is half the size, and supposed to do well here. They also do well in containers. 

They bloom June through the summer. 

Experiences:
These are gone now. I would like to try in a pot again.

The first year I put the corms in the white "cement" pot in front of the Kitntzley's Ghost vine in the kitchen courtyard. 

I almost gave up on them, but the tall swords all came up eventually and there was greenery. The flowers didn't start to bud and open til September. 

The color was a lovely butterscotch tending to soft orange that I liked. I have to say they are tidier than the giant red 'Lucifer'  crocosmias. The sunset orange flowers almost look like spurred columbines to me. (But I do miss the impressive stature and wild red arching flowers of 'Lucifer'.)

2019

I did not bring them in over winter in 2019 -20. I planted them out in the garden the second year in spring 2020, and none came back. 

In spring 2021 I got 20 more from High Country Gardens, planted 18 (2 weren't viable) in the ground in the kitchen courtyard.

The replacement corms planted in 2021 sent up foliage, but no flowers for two years, and almost all disappeared.