Reference

Boxwood / Buxus

Buxus sempervirens 'Green Tower' (also 'Monrue')
From Agua Fria nursery in fall 2019, added two more from Agua Fria in late summer 2020

Photos

Narrow and tall, gets to 9 feet. Keep it pruned in this tight corner. 

Some say it wants alkaline soil and some say acidic. Some say it wants full sun, others that it grows well in shade. Conflicting profiles.

'Green Tower' Resists winter burn.

I don't know why, but the boxwoods at the back of the potting bench curve behind the aspens really please me. They define that unresolved corner, they actually give a feel of a woodland space in dappled shade under the aspens, and they do screen the potting bench.

Expectations:
I wanted something to anchor the corner and to screen the potting bench. It's the view I see from the kitchen window as I make coffee, and in the morning light the boxwoods are highlighted, drawing the eye past the deck and down the small yard.

What it should look like -- will mine be as full in shade? I'll need to keep them pruned and away from the garage wall.


Experiences:
The first Green Tower boxwood was an experiment to see how it would do in shade, in alkaline soil and in our New Mexico winters. It did so well for me in shade behind the aspen, that I got two more to make a grouping of 3 by the potting bench in September 2020. 

I can't believe they get through our harsh, dry winters and windy dry springs with NO burn, looking great. They seem to do fine in a dark corner when the aspens leaf out and shade them. It's surprising.