Reference

Hollyhock / Alcea

Alcea rosea 'Las Vegas'
From Bluestone Perennials in spring 2020
Added more in 2021 from Payne's

Alcea 'Black Knight' from Bluestone Perennials in spring 2023


Colors of 'Las Vegas'
Photos

Expectations:
Hollyhocks are biennials, but 'Las Vegas' blooms in its first year. 

This variety, 'Las Vegas', is supposed to be more rust resistant. They are short lived, but do self seed a lot. They bloom starting in early July.

(By the way, here was my plan for a stand of hollyhocks.)

The picture below is not 'Las Vegas', but a scarlet red variety planted at Newman's. Just spectacular, especially spread out so each clump stands alone.


Experiences:
I'm growing these flashy plants along the coyote fence by the rain barrel. 

In 2021 they started to bloom in late June in pink. By Fourth of July some pale yellow ones had also appeared. They all are only about 3 - 4 feet tall, hidden by the rain barrel. 

Not the 5 to 7 foot tall stately hollyhocks I have seen. Maybe in future years they will be bigger? I expected deep purples, reds and yellows, with some white and pink, but so far the ones I have only bloom in a pale pink and light yellow. 

I wanted deeper colors.

In 2021 I added a clump of three more Las Vegas hollyhocks in front of the back fence to break up the expanse of Virginia creeper vine, but I took them out in 2023. 

They didn't suit the space and seemed to struggle a bit with competition from the creeper vine.

In spring 2023 I added three Black Knight hollyhocks along the fence in the kitchen courtyard at the gate.