Reference

Globe Mallow / Sphaeralcea

Orange globe mallow / Sphaeralcea munroana
From High Country Gardens in spring 2018.
Replaced in fall 2021

Sphaeralcea ambigua
From Plants of the Southwest in fall 2020

Photos

Expectations:
Munroe's globe mallow is a soft, dusty orange color in bloom. Very pretty. 

Too much water will cause floppy vegetative growth, keep it dry for more flowers. Shear back in early fall to six inches to keep it tidier (wants to sprawl).


Experiences:
June 5, 2019
The plant I had at first got floppy and needed to be propped up.

First planted in the front triangle, by the second year, in 2019, it was upright and blooming nicely starting in May, but the spindly plant got knocked over in the wind.

I might have watered it too much, making it too tall.

It was bushy, a little weedy looking. I put a metal ring around to hold it up, and some small rocks at the base to shore up the stems at the crown.

I finally took it out in 2020, and got another one that I put in the driveway strip, hoping in the tighter strip against the fence it would have some support. It did not come back in spring 2021, perhaps too wet over winter.

In fall 2021 I tried again, putting it in the front triangle once again and I will try not to over water it.

In fall 2020 I got two more globe mallows from Plants of the Southwest but these plants are Sphaeralcea ambigua (Desert mallow) and the label says they can be pink, white, orange or red. Large, rangy looking plants, that I put out in the common area in front of the sunflowers along the garage wall. The rabbit ate them down to the ground. One survives but barely.