Reference

Indian Pink / Spigelia marilandica

I tried for years to grow this in CT and failed each time. Would it do better here in my full shade garden under the dining room windows? There were lovely full, big stands of these at Chanticleer in the woods; it seems they can take full shade and live under trees.


Some reviewers, particularly in northern gardens, say it flowers and grows best in full sun and somewhat dry conditions, but recommendations are all for moister (I'd have to keep it watered), enriched soil, in shade.

Slow to establish, so I'd have to be patient. Slow to emerge in spring too. They don't compete with other plants well.


I tried several times, even in a pot for a while, but I either had too much sun (I thought) or too much competition, or who knows what.

My different attempts looked good at first

Would these make a nice, colorful, blooming clump under the dining room windows? The pretty red and yellow might be nice with the blue flowered plumbago groundcover and the yellow columbines. Get 'Little Redhead' (only to two feet by two feet) and put it in a pot to keep it away from competition and tuck that in among the columbines?

'Little Redhead'