Reference

Thyme Leaf Speedwell / Veronica oltensis

Thyme Leaf Speedwell  / Veronica oltensis
From High Country Gardens in spring 2018, more in 2019

Photos

Expectations:
Veronica oltensis is a groundcover to go between pavers. It blooms in a deep, rich blue. I put several between the flagstones and gravel under the patio set by the fence.


It wants dry conditions once it's established. It will melt out with too much moisture.

June 8, 2020
Experiences:
I watered it a lot to get it going in the thin gravelly soil between the flagstones.

In spring 2020 it looked great, spreading exactly as I had wanted and where I wanted.

The blue should look nice when it flowers, but as of 2023 I have yet to see any blooms. Nothing like the pictures of a blue carpet.

In summer 2021 I was watering often, and I think I overdid it.. About half the patches browned out in the middle and stayed crispy. Not good. Keep these drier.

In 2023 and 2024 I added a few more. They are so tiny and hard to establish, but once they get going the do spread and look great.

Since I took the patio table and chairs out and left the flagstone area open, these little spreaders are quite visible and look great.

They stay evergreen in winter, which adds a lot to the sandy brown color of the patio and flagstones.

2022 and 2023