Reference

Deutzia / Deutzia crenata

Deutzia crenata var. nakaiana 'Nikko'
From Bluestone Perennials in fall 2018
Gone now. A rabbit ate it to the ground in 2020 just as it was settling in and looking good under the pine in front. It did not come back after that.

Care: Needs annual pruning (right after flowering in spring) to remove short lived dead stems.
October 2020: A rabbit ate it to the ground - decapitated the whole thing, after it had established and was coming along nicely in the front garden, visible in the red rocks from the front slider. It was looking so good, still tiny but gathering some size, and then gone in a minute. 

Looking good in late July, but sheared off at the ground in late October 2020


This is the same plant as Deutzia gracilis 'Nikko', which I loved in my old garden. I planted it at the back of the potting bench curve, where its arching stems could spill over the railroad tie. But that didn't happen.

After two years in that spot it got smaller and smaller and I finally took it out in spring 2020 and put it in a pot. Eventually, after it looked like it was gaining some size in the pot, it wound up under the pines in front, where the patch of ajugas had been.

         This is where I put it   ↑  ↑                                      Just transplanted July 7, 2020. 

It will fare better against the dropped pine needles and leaves as a shrub rather than the flat, low groundcover ajugas, which got lost there. I'll need to get water to it from the Shrubblers line that goes to the penstemons.

If it does okay here, it will be pretty to see in spring from inside the front slider. The rest of the years this is always just a filler leafy shrub.

So pretty is spring, though.


After a few years in my former garden the plants got twiggy and dense since I wasn't pruning out old stems. I'll have to remind Greg to do this with the three small 'Nikko' deutzias in his garden.

I had big stretches of these low shrubs used as a tall groundcover in Connecticut and they were spectacular in bloom, and just sort of a neutral filler in leaf all summer. Here I'll have just the one plant as an accent.