Reference

Garden Pink / Dianthus

Dianthus deltoides 'Zing Rose'
From Bluestone Perennials Fall 2019

Gone now -- I took it out, as it wasn't what I wanted.

I originally put this at the front center of the potting bench curve, between the two birches, flanked by lambs ear on either side, then in June 2020 moved it to the dining room window garden.

MoBot describes Dianthus deltoides as a loose sprawling evergreen mat. It is that, but quite scraggly. In early June it started to flower and it is a deep magenta pink color that goes well with the cool lambs ear next to it.

June 7, 2020

I got it to brighten the deep shade between the trees, and because it's described as wanting shade in hot climates. It's supposed to be long blooming, and forms a lush mat. Prefers sandy alkaline soil. But the compacted amended soil in the spot between the lambsears is quite heavy.

It isn't really what I wanted here -- small and sprawly and the hot pink isn't what I want for this garden.

June 18, 2020

So it got moved in mid June 2020 to the shady dining room window garden, near the still tiny Robustissima anemone. The soil in the potting bench curve was so compacted -- I had tried to lighten it, but it didn't fluff up much. Here in the sandier dirt at the far right of the dining room window garden, it's lighter and it might do well here.

It did well, but wasn't what I wanted there and I took it out.