Reference

Delphinium / Perennial Larkspur

Delphinium grandiflorum 'Summer Nights'
From Payne's in spring 2022

Delphinium grandiflorum 'Blue Butterfly' I think this is gone now
From Bluestone Perennials in spring 2022

Delphinium unnamed from Plants of the Southwest in 2020.


Expectations:
Keep them moist. Cut off flowers to keep them blooming, but leave some to reseed. 


'Summer Nights' is not the tall spiky delphinium, it's a compact dwarf perennial that gets only 12 inches high and is good in containers. It wants moisture but full sun.

'Blue Butterfly' is compact to about 15 inches tall. The flowers and foliage look a lot like the unnamed delphinium I planted in the dining room window garden.


Experiences:
I got several plants marked just "delphinium" from Plants of the Southwest in 2020. They have finely dissected foliage and open single flowers scattered on the stalks, not the tightly clustered spikes. 

I thought they were really annual larkspurs - consolida.

Blue Butterfly? July 2, 2023
But they have come back and appear to be perennial, and so I do think they are delphinium grandiflorum.

They were recommended to me as plants for shade, but sources say they want full sun (but moist, cool summers).

I got 4 more in 2022 to add to the unnamed ones in the dining room window garden. They are 'Blue Butterfly' and look like the original unnamed plants.

They aren't very robust -- just a few come back each year and they are tall and thin, but the small delicate flowers are a vivid blue. I'd like them to have more of a presence.

I bought 'Summer Nights' in 2022 on a whim, thinking it was closer to the tall perennial larkspurs I have, but found out it is a dwarf and quite small, better for containers. I think it is gone in 2023.