Reference

2023 Journal Winter / Spring

Tasks

✔done Cut back grasses. 
✔done Move Jackmanii clematis to side alley under Peggy Martin rose. 
✔done Dig up two side hakonechloas and put in pots.
✔done Dig up fall anemone runners.
✔done Dig up red Splendens heucheras and put in containers (there was so little root structure when I dug them up . . .)

๐Ÿ‚ Mulch common field bare spots - need more
 
๐ŸŒ€ Rearrange moss rock border for opening at birdbath.

๐ŸŒผ Edit down dining room window garden -- move front-most yellow coneflowers to kitchen courtyard, move any remaining Icicle speedwells

๐ŸŒฑ Get little bluestem grasses for common area.


April 30
The Patio
I love sitting on the patio. I love how it looks now. It's nice enough to sit out there in the warm weather as April ends.

This final iteration of the umbrella location works for the first time, enclosing the little square under the vigas perfectly. It is a mid level between the low patio furniture, the horizontal fence line in the near distance and the sky above. It shades the area, at least partly during the day, and it defines the area. 


I struggled with how to use the umbrella for the first 5 years. It was over the patio table but never shaded it -- the sun came in from angles. And we never sat at the table.

It was on the lower step-down level, one more item in a cramped area holding the table and four chairs right up against the fence. When opened, it was a little bit over the fence into the neighbor's space. It was visually and physically in the way.

Now the umbrella standing on the upper level off to the end of the area makes it a "room", instead of the patio being tucked back into an alcove. The umbrella brings the space forward.


The photos don't really show how enclosed but open the patio is now. The pictures just show an umbrella kind of standing there by itself. But the feeling is one of shelter and completion. I just really like it there.



April 29
After the Snow
Yesterday's snow melted and today was cool but sunny and very, very pleasant. No wind. Everything looks fresh. The air was delightful.

The fernbush greens up earlier than anything else in spring and is the only real leafy thing going right now.  It looks great. 

Next to it the Honeycomb butterfly bush is a small pile of sticks, with some greenery poking up from the roots. 

I went out to cut back the dried stems and let this regrow from the ground up, but as I cut the thin branches, I noticed the tiniest dry little leaf bud scales. 

Really tiny, and I'm not sure they are this year's buds or husks left over from last year.

But I stopped cutting the stems back and will check to see if these branches put out any leaves. The other (mature) butterfly bush in the corner of the kitchen courtyard has leaves all up and down its branches, ready to open.

I potted up a few of the things I got at Waterwise and Payne's earlier this week (geraniums, a gaura, etc.) but I get so tired that I have to sit more than I putter.

Just simple tasks to enjoy doing on a nice sunny day, but I have no stamina anymore. I do still want to spread more mulch and compost in the common area -- that's a workout for me, even just a couple bags of mulch.


April 28
Snow and a Cool Spring
We got snow this morning. It quickly melted by afternoon, but had soaked in pretty well, totaling about a quarter inch of liquid in the rain gauge.


I've been watering a lot this spring. Last year was bone dry from lat March til monsoons came in June, and although I did water, it wasn't enough. Things came in stunted and paltry looking, and never really recovered even with irrigation fully working and our record rainfall all summer.

This year I want to get the plants a good start, so I've been hand watering multiple times a week. Things look good so far, even with some drooping from today's snow.

It's been a very cool spring, though, with cold nights. Nothing has really popped yet and the flowering plums along the streets didn't look great since the flowers were delayed and didn't come out til the leaves were already unfurling.

But my crabapple and viburnum have been spectacular! And the viburnum smells so spicy fragrant. 


It will be hot and summery soon enough!


April 25
Late April
The Whiteflower Farm orders have arrived and they look great. I potted up the 4 Kent's Beauty oreganos in oblong troughs to go on plant stands on the front portal.


And the bush clematis Sapphire Indigo is trailing like crazy. I put it in the pot that will go under the sundial, staked a bit to keep it up off the ground too much. I hope it gets bushier.


The digitalis Candy Mountain White already has a bloom. It's not a big bushy plant, so I don't think I'll put it in the turquoise pot by the glider (I'll put a cuphea there inside another pot.) Maybe I'll put the foxglove in the dining room window garden.

As I worked at the potting bench the fragrance of the viburnum was delightful. Rich, spicy, just lovely. The flowers are just now opening.


The deck got done while we were away in Weymouth to see Hope. It looks good. We got rain last night and it beads up on the fresh stain.


And when we got back the crabapple was in bloom. Absolutely covered.


Wow!


April 17
Blanketflowers in the Common Area
I spent Sunday afternoon mulching bare spots of sand in the common area next to our driveway. I already have 3 tiny Gambel oaks, 3 tiny piรฑon pine seedlings, and various Apache plumes and Russian sages planted out there.

The wild grasses and some Palmer's penstemons grow when monsoons provide enough water. A chamisa or two are starting to establish.

But there are bare spots that simply stay bright sandy colored and are visually distracting. Covered in bark mulch, the sand at least stays a little moister and visually blends into the grasses. Some wild seeds may take root in the covered moist sand.

In three irregular spots I added handfuls of compost, scattered some of the gaillardia aristata seeds I've been keeping for a few years now, watered it all, and covered the areas with mulch.

The seeds are old, who knows if they are even viable. The compost didn't add anything to the sand, it isn't enough. 

I used two bags of compost, and a bag and a half of mulch in three areas. I need more. I still have a third of the bag of seeds left. Watering the patches will be key.

Will I get a few to come up among the grasses? It's a lot of toting and spreading and I work so slowly now. All this just to create (possibly) some patches of blanketflowers among the weeds and some visual texture and cover over the bare sand.


April 14
First Hummingbird
Spotted a hummingbird at the feeder today -- the first one we've seen this year!


April 11
There Will Be Flowers
The crabapple will bloom this year! Last year there was not a single bloom, but this year it is covered with pink buds getting ready to open.


It may have been the disturbance in fall of 2021 when the irrigation was installed that scotched any buds for the following spring in 2022. But this year . . . flowers! And crabapples in fall.


April 9
The Week Ahead
It's Easter Sunday and the weather for today and the following week looks fabulous. 60s and near 70 in the daytime, nights well above freezing.


I have things to do in this nice weather! 

Transplant the Jackmanii clematis, dig up the struggling Japanese forest grasses, cut back the fescue grasses, add mulch, buy more containers to put inside the larger pots, move some plants from the dining room window garden, dig up the Splendens heucheras, water some more, the list goes on . . .


April 7
Let's Begin
I got 5 bags of small bark mulch from Newman's and 3 of compost to prepare. Watered half the gardens today, will water more tomorrow, including the field.  After a cold, cold spring the weather will be above freezing at night for the next 10 days with highs in the 60s during the day.

I'm ready, sort of. 


April 5
On Our Return
We got back from 10 days in California where it was wet and damp and cool. 

The weather here on our return was windy and very cold -- 15 degrees when I got up this morning and not over 43 all day. It will warm up over Easter weekend.

Part of my Whiteflower Farm order arrived. Just the perennials (Kent's Beauty oregano, a digitalis, and a shrub clematis). 

The annual nicotianas and gomphrena will be shipped later.



March 23
A Little Sun
After days of gloom and rain and clouds, the sun came out briefly this afternoon before clouding up and getting windy again. Still cold, though, in the low 40s. I sprinkled Yum Yum in the field, and some around the plants under the aspens. Raked out the lambsears. Not much, but nice to be outside for half an hour.


March 21
It's Been Doing This for Days
Days and days of rain and snow.

A good soaking for the ground -- there's 3/4 of an inch in the rain gauge now since the 17th and more coming down today. 

More expected tomorrow. Temps don't get much out of the 30s.

When it's not snowing or raining it's gray and overcast. It's a horrible start to spring, but the moisture is the benefit. Last spring we had little for much of late winter, and then absolutely nothing for 12 weeks until monsoons started in late June.

The result was very stunted growth for a lot of my perennials. Things just never bulked up even after summer rain started.

This year with all this late winter / early spring moisture, I am expecting my little plants to DO something!


March 17
Winter in March
Hail and some rain and then snow yesterday, blizzardy blowing snow all morning today. Cold temps in the low 20s.


The moisture is good for the soil, and for the fertilizer and aphid soil drench Coates put down 2 days ago. But sheeesh.


March 16
Sprinklers
I got this Melnor small sprinkler system to set up when I move pots into a central area for watering when we are away.  $45 on Amazon.

There are 3 sprinkler heads that are on spikes set in the ground. The heads twist around to angle in any direction and can be dialed up or down. It comes with 2 short hose lengths (with snap-on connectors) and the spikes can be set up in a short chain of 2 or 3 heads. It's all easily picked up and moved.

It only covers a very small area but that's all I need as I group the containers together and set the hose on a timer.

I have high hopes for this system. My larger containers (turquoise pots, the large urns on the front portal, the brown urn in the kitchen courtyard) will all have smaller pots placed inside so I can lift out the plants and set them in the sprinkler area when we are away.

All the smaller containers that I can move around will also be moved to the sprinkler area. I think I'll set up the area in the mulch near the potting bench, it's shady and protected there.

I can also move this system to areas of the garden that need more than the drip irrigation is providing -- I can use it as a supplement in small areas where needed so I don't always have to stand and hand water.


March 14
No Wind
After endless days of clouds, some rain, gray days all winter and chill winds . .  it was absolutely still today, with abundant sunshine. The temperature barely got up to 50, but the air was so still and the sunshine so golden, it was lovely.

Coates came today to fertilize everything.


March 10
More Redtwig Dogwoods!
I think it's time to give up on the threesome of Japanese forest grasses under the aspens. The one in the middle is doing well enough and it is centered beautifully between the boxwoods.


But the flanking two are just not thriving, and the one on the left behind the pig has never grown. The one on the right is better, but still not bulking up much after 5 years.

So . . . I'll leave the center grass but take out the two others (I'll pot them up). The center one will be the focal point, but I won't have a curve of three of them.

I left space around the grasses to let them get big and fountainy, so there is room for shrubs in the two spots. I'll do two Arctic Fire redtwig dogwoods. 

The garden needs more structure and I like the "forest" look of woody shrubs with the aspens and boxwoods. How nice the red stems will be against the green boxwoods, framed by white aspen bark. 

Only the area to the left  -- where the peony is -- will be flowery. Under the aspens will be more woodsy -- the pretty, reserved Biokovo geraniums make a nice ground cover there too.

I ordered two redtwig dogwoods from Bluestone -- and added a couple other items to the order!     


March 9
Redtwig Dogwood
Yesterday it was mild although breezy, and I took the redtwig dogwood out of the turquoise pot behind the deck. 

I had to saw off half the root ball to jimmy it out of the container, and to be able to lift it into its new home, but it should be fine.

It's now in the ground, surrounded by irrigation emitters, next to the Kintzley's Ghost honeysuckle. I took out all the no-show crocosmias.

It's the midlevel shrubby layer I wanted. It's close to the fence, but only gets about 3 feet wide and it's planted at 18 inches on center from the fence, so there's just enough room.

And I'll be pruning it each year by 1/3 to encourage newer stems, which have the reddest color.

I like it. A bit of brightness in this brown winter garden, and close up where I can see it. It adds a little woodland feel to the small perennial garden area.




March 8
Redbud
The Oklahoma redbud continues to be a pretty tree, but it is not growing. I've pruned winterkill and done some shaping, so it's even smaller than when planted. It does not grow.

Today I noticed a bad crack on the base of the trunk. There seemed to be an attempt at sealing it off with a callus at the edges, but below the soil line it looks pretty bad.


I pulled away the soil and mulch -- of course it was too tight up against the tree trunk, arrrgh. And I had been really watering it well (too much?) since its first years when I underwatered it. Wet mulch up against the trunk was not good.

Have I done this tree in? Will it now succumb to the fungus problems that plague redbuds? The disease enters through wounds in the branches and trunks.


March 7
Water Water Water
Last year spring was so dry -- not a drop until late June, and then we had a very wet monsoon season all through the summer. 

But those early months -- March, April, May and most of June were calamitous for many emerging plants, and a lot of my perennials looked stunted all season, even after irrigation was started in mid May and monsoons came in summer. Things just never bulked up.

So this March, April and early May I want to hand water early on, before irrigation is started. That means starting now, and most of this week looks like it will stay above freezing at night and in the high 50s during the day. 

I hooked up the hose by the kitchen and watered all but the front yard and the guest room window garden today. I even got out into the field and watered.


March 5
Getting Ready
I'm anxious to start garden tasks. It's been a cold winter. 

Either it has been overcast and grim, snowy and wet, or it has been chilly and windy and I haven't been tempted at all to get out and clean things up. But today was warm enough, in the high 40s and not too breezy, to get out and cut back the perennials. 

I got most done, and just need to cut back a few more things and the grasses now.

I need to refresh my pruners, loppers, saw, scissors, and garden nippers. All are in bad shape from being stored in the plastic closet where winter water has gotten in. 

I still want to have Tim build me a watertight cedar wood tool shed, and he's got my plans and specs in order to figure out dimensions. I'm not sure when he can get to it, but it's on his list to do.


March 1
Bluestone Order
Ordered from Bluestone today. 

Crystal Peak white obedient plants - 3 more in addition to HCG
Hollyhock Black Knight for back fence
Totally Tangerine geums to add to existing
Caryopteris Beyond Midnight for Nava Ade Chamisa Path replacement
Campanula Poscharskyana, maybe in the front urn?


The campanula will be an experiment. It's a spiller for the front portal in a smaller pot inside the urn. I like the deep purple with the nearby red geraniums. I'm not sure it can take such a small pot, though. Here's an idea of it in a pot:


If it doesn't do well or after it goes by, I can revert to yellow petunias in the urn.


February 27
HCG Order
Ordered some replacements / additions. These are things I already have and want more of. I asked for shipping as of May 1 (we'll be away end of April).

Crystal Peak white obedient plants
Texas Red Betony
Marian Sampson monardellas 
Kannah Creek Buckwheat
Pineleaf penstemon 


Also ordered a buckwheat and a pineleaf penstemon for the birdbath garden -- I asked them to combine these two orders.


The two additional plants are another $40.


February 25
Crabapple Reduction
I took off the angled low branch that jutted out from the trunk of the little crabapple. 

I had always intended to remove this awkward side branch, and finally did it. 

Here, lit up by the sun, that side branch can be seen and it was leafy and healthy, a quarter of the total foliage on the tree.

But it had to go, and over time I'll need to reduce more lower branches so we can walk under it and so it grows more upright than wide spreading. 

I really hope I get blooms this year -- there was no flowering at all last year, despite prolific flowering in its first years.

There's the lopped off branch, lying on the ground next to this slender twig of a tree.



February 21
Whiteflower Farm Order
Ordered some annuals and a bush clematis today.

Bush Clematis Sapphire Indigo
Digitalis Candy Mountain White
Kent's Beauty Oregano
Gomphrena Strawberry Fields
Nicotiana alata


I like the idea of having the deep purple Sapphire Indigo bush clematis in a larger (but still portable) pot to provide a vibrant purple spilling over the edge of the "wildflower meadow" in pots at the foot of the sundial. I'll add deep red geraniums, and the hairy goldenaster will provide the sunny yellow for my meadow.

I think I'd still like to pick up some dark purple angelonias too -- in case the clematis doesn't work out after all. 

I know angelonias are reliable and all-summer bloomers. Their forms are upright and perfect for mingling with the hairy goldenaster.

But the box stores or nurseries don't always stock them, or not the purple color I want, so I feel I should try to source some online and order them.


February 18
Some Pruning to Do
Looks like I need to get the pruners out and fix things. 

It's been very bitterly cold for a while and it's been overcast and snowy too. The moisture is great for the soil, but this winter is wearing. 

The house doesn't heat up even with the thermostat at 70 and both of my space heaters going. And gas prices took a phenomenal hike this winter. Arrrgh.

This broken branch won't hurt the privet much. The canale above drips ice on this side of the privet and it broke the branch with its weight.

When it's warmer I'll lop it off.



February 11
Clematis
Ordered Alba Luxurians from Brushwood ($38) for delivery in early May.

Still  dithering all over the place on what to do with the various clematis vines. I'll take out the purple and the white Jackmanii vines in order to plant this new Alba Luxurians clematis along the fence in that shaded spot.

Should I transplant them somewhere? Where? I'm thinking to put both the purple and the white at the foot of the Peggy Martin rose and let them all mingle. 

There's irrigation, the pink + purple + white would be nice if they bloom together. The pink rose goes by so quickly, though. So the clematis --- if it does any better there -- would add something for a longer time.

Will the skinny rose canes be enough for the clematis to wrap itself on? 

Venosa violacae on the small tower in the potting bench curve is so spindly that I wanted to take it out but let's see what it does this year. It will be the fourth year. 

Pictures online show a full but not big vine, covered in blooms -- here's a photo of one on a tower just like mine.
→   →   →        
Why was mine so skimpy in its third summer? 


January 14
Plants to Source
Order: more Crystal Peak obedient plants for around birdbath - Bluestone

Order: more Totally Tangerine orange geums for kitchen courtyard and potting bench curve - Bluestone

Order: annual Strawberry Fields gomphrena for brown pot at front portal and a nicotiana alata for patio from Whiteflower Farm

Order: Alba Luxurians vine from Brushwood ✓
 
Order: more Texas red betony for dining room garden - HCG
 
Order: mixed color crocosmia for turquoise pot behind deck - HCG
 
Buy: red geraniums for front trough and sundial, pansies / petunias for urns and white bowl 


January 1
6th Year in the Garden
The disruption of irrigation installation is over, the designs are settling in and need some editing out and moves, rather than new plants. This should be the year for some maturity and filling out!